Saturday, June 2, 2012

Miami Dolphins-Neon and Foam LP (2011)

Last time I was in Olympia, everyone was raving about Minneapolis' Miami Dolphins, so I finally decided to see what all the hubbub was about.

"Neon and Foam" isn't breaking any new paths, but it certainly is fun. I call this genre contortion punk, since the Dolphins and akin bands take 4/4 punk song structures, chop 'em up into strangled guitar notes and spastic drumming, and piece them back together in confetti fashion.

The Dolphins remind me of Chicago's late, much-missed (by me, anyway) Coughs: high-pitched female vocals, frantic guitar that usually doesn't go in for solos, and drums mixed well to the front. They're not nearly as harsh as Coughs were, though: this sounds like the sort of music noise scene veterans would play if you spiked their 4Loko with ecstasy, took 'em to an amusement park, and set up a 4track on the carousel.

But don't take my word for it, find out for yercelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment