Saturday, May 26, 2012

Walrus-Odobenus Rosmarus EP (2012)

Halifax's fraternal duo Walrus, unlike most bands featured on Drug Punk, doesn't sound like a drug-induced car crash. Instead, Walrus is the appropriate soundtrack to wandering down the deserted back alleys and empty boulevards of your hometown in the misty rain, searching for that pretty girl (guy?) seen from a distance just the other day.

This two-song EP has a lot more texture than anything I've heard recently. "Van Dyke Brown" opens with rain patter and feels murky, in a tranquil way. The singer's voice is distant and melancholic, but not despondent. The song floats along on gentle currents of electronic percussion and effects, and fades out slowly. "Weekdays" sounds like it was recorded on a blustery day, with more hazy electro-ambience.
The EP sort of reminds me of a more concentrated, compressed version of Herzog's first EP. It's an excellent accompaniment to the merry month of May, and I recommend it.

Check it out here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey man! I stumbled across this blog a couple of days ago, and I think it's awesome. I admire your writing style: it's vivid and to-the-point. I also dig how you're helping to spread the word about cool underground or up-and-coming bands. I strive to accomplish both these things in my blog (we actually have similar layouts too).

    If you'd like to take a look at my blog sometime, I'd be interested to know what you think of it. Its address is:

    herecomesthedumptruck.blogspot.com

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete